IMPORTANT: For your security, recovering a locked device will: (1) Require a complete factory reset of the device, including the deletion of all data stored on the phone; (2) Require you to log into your Google account in order to reboot the device.
If you forgot your password, PIN, or are otherwise locked out of your phone, there are two ways to restore the device to a usable state.
Method 1: Google's Find My Device
Google's Find my Device tool helps to find a lost device, or reset one that you are locked out of. Log in with the Google account used on your Essential Phone and follow the "Erase" steps to recover your device.
Method 2: Manual Factory Reset
Your phone can also be factory reset from the bootloader, using the steps below.
- Turn the device off
- Simultaneously hold down the Power and Volume Down keys. Release when the Essential logo appears
- On the menu that appears, use the Volume Down button to scroll to “Recovery Mode”
- Press power button to select Recovery Mode
- The device will automatically reboot to a screen stating "No command"
- Press and hold the power button
- After a couple seconds, tap the Volume Up key (without letting go of Power) and then release both keys
- You will see a menu called "Android Recovery"
- Using the Volume Down key, scroll to “Wipe data/factory reset”
- Press power button to select Wipe data/factory reset
- Use the Volume Down key to highlight “Yes” when asked for confirmation
- Press the Power button to select “Yes”
- The phone will automatically reboot and factory restore
- You be required to enter your Google account credentials to set up the device upon reboot