IMPORTANT: For your security, recovering a locked device will: (1) Require a complete factory reset of the device, including the deletion of all data stored on the phone; (2) Require you to log into your Google account in order to reboot the device.
If you forgot your password, PIN, or are otherwise locked out of your phone, there are two ways to restore the device to a usable state.
Method 1: Google's Find My Device
Google's Find my Device tool helps to find a lost device, but it also allows you to reset one that you are locked out of. Log in with the Google account used on your Essential Phone and follow the "Erase" steps to recover your device.
Method 2: Manual Factory Reset
Your phone can be factory reset from the bootloader using the steps below:
- Press and hold the Power and Volume Down Buttons until the FastBoot menu appears (a menu with the START option selected in green at the top)
- Using the Volume Up and Volume Down Buttons, scroll to highlight the Recovery mode option in red
- Tap the Power Button to select Recovery Mode (the phone will automatically reboot to a screen with a broken Android and the words No command)
- Hold the Power Button and tap the Volume Up Button (release the power button when the Android Recovery menu appears)
- Using the Volume Up and Down Buttons, scroll to Wipe data/factory reset
- Press the Power Button to select Wipe data/factory reset
- Using the Volume Up and Down Buttons, scroll to highlight Yes
- Press the Power Button to select Yes
- The phone will automatically reboot after the reset is complete
- You will be required to enter your Google account credentials to set up the device upon reboot